Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Recap...


2008 BET Awards: A Recap
written by 4bars


First off, I know K Billy AKA Public Hater #1 is gonna comment on how bad the BET Awards were and usually I’d cosign because of the general feelings I have towards BET and their questionable programming. But the other night I watched an awards show that I was actually proud of…for most of it, haha. You get enough black people with money in one place and SOMEBODY is gonna act an ass (thank you Cuba and Al Green) but even with that, I could laugh comfortably because of the collective success that was present. With that said, the recap commences:

First off, the glaring theme that dominated the night was the RIDICULOUS amount of BEAUTIFUL, TALENTED, SUCCESSFUL, SEXY ASS BLACK WOMEN that were in attendance, performing, and just making every male viewer drool. Deserving honorees are as follows: Ms. A-Pleeeease, Sexy Spice, Ciara, the chick poppin it during the Chris Breezy performance, BAD ASS Nia Long, and EN VOGUE IS STILL BAD!!, hell, even Debra Lee could’ve gotten it on this night. As you could tell, I was seriously overwhelmed by the amount of beauty that was constantly on stage, big ups to black women, DAMN, ya’ll holding it down.

The Jokes/Scripted Stuff: D.L. Hughley is a funny man, especially when he says the same stuff as I do about the Lakers losing cause they had too many Euros. I thought the banter between Gabrielle Union and Derek Luke was clever, the montage of speakers that included David Banner and Soulja Boy were entertaining and also spoke a positive message, and Kevin Hart giving Kobe’s award to “Mel B’s got damn ass…” since Kobe wasn’t there to accept it made my f’n night cause, again, she was BAD! Its an awards show, so naturally the jokes aren’t gonna be of stand up quality, but I was entertained and besides Cuba Gooding Jr. acting like he does in the Hanes commercials, I was happy with what I saw.

The Performances: I couldn’t believe what I saw: Usher and Kanye among the worst performers (!!!), it was downright shocking although Usher’s was relative whereas Ye’s was just bad. Usher started the show off sans Jeezy and did his usual good job dancing and entertaining but after watching Chris Brown (after years of hating I must give that mf props, lookin like a young 4Bars out there) ripped it with a nice medley and Ne-Yo did his thing to a song that I CANT STAND, I was like “damn, Usher was good, but these two young mf’s outdid him…”. Now, in the case of Ye, I don’t know wtf happened. “Put On” is one of my favorite songs out right now, mainly because of Kanye even though he’s channeling T-Pain but he rips it regardless, but the gift turned into a curse on this night. Something happened with the tech guys or sound or something because Ye sounded TERRIBLE and was even off key and beat. After seeing dude in concert I was sure he was one of the greatest performers of our day but I guess even Jordan had bad games. Ms Keys’ (or “A-Please” as my barber calls her) performance was awesome. I enjoyed Al Green, Maxwell let us know he was still alive, T-Pain has SO MANY HIT SONGS that he’s apart of and did them all very well. Another note about T-Pain was the fact that he actually sounded good with no voicecoder thing while singin the hook to Lollipop. Lastly, I must reiterate, Lil Wayne is the hottest mf in hip hop right now (no homo) I gotta give the mf his props, f’n A Millie will get any crowd on the globe going once that bassline drops, great way to end the show.

I’ve written entirely too much but I will say this, I enjoyed the BET Awards a lot and even though I was bombarded with niggerdom (read: Baldwin Hills Season 2 ads at EVERY COMMERCIAL BREAK!) I was very proud of what was shown and I hope that the show will continue to improve in quality and class; aaannndd that the rest of the programming will follow suit.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

F**k BET.

K Storm said...

JUSHH STOP HATIN....EVen though there were some moments that pissed me off...Niecy NAsh adopting WHITE KIDS (if MTV did that WITH BLACK KIDS I WOULD B PISSED) SO I didn't think that was called for. Ye and Usher made me upset...RIHANNA CAN SING...AND I LOVE HER. EN VOUGUE NEEDS TO COME BACK OUT TODAY CAUSE IF THEY DIDN'T WALK ON THAT STAGE LIKE IT WAS 10YRS AGO, I don't know man I just don't know. THEY RIPPED IT. They were READY!!!
But AL GREEN!!!!!!!! MURDERED IT....
It was good over all....started slow...but it was good.

Anonymous said...

Sorry.

How's this?...

"I rebuke you BET for perpetuating negative stereo types of young black americans and doing nothing to help educate and further the growth of your audience. After nearly 30 years, you have done nothing to help repair the damaged and fragile image that blacks have in American media, in fact many would argue that you've made it worse. TV One has done more positive things for us in 2 years than you've done since Joe Cleazy was doing rap city with the ugly girl that can dance. So forgive me if a few good performances on an average awards show doesn't take the "f**k" out of my attitude."

Was that better guys?

Mr. Hutson said...

That recap was hilarious. I don't know about Debra Lee getting it though. That might have been a stretch. I mean, yeah she looked nice and all. Had her hair all done, dress fitting all proper.

Yeah, she could get it. You right.

Al Green was brilliant. Maxwell was cool w/ the shape up. Usher fell back from dancing for a while so he could be taken seriously as a vocalist, then I think someone told him to dance so that Chris Brown doesn't take his spot. Whoever it was, they forgot to tell Ursher to actually sing.

It was a cool night and all. DL gets points for that Young Buck joke. And Jushh, I feel you on the dislike for BET, but there was no need to bring Leslie into it. All she did was show up, look cu...ummm...tolerable, and pop-lock. She never did nothing to nobody.

Anonymous said...

BIG LEZ... that was her name wasn't it?

maybe so but the description helped you know who the heck i was talking about!

Anonymous said...

HEAR HEAR, Jus!!!!!!

I hate BET.

K Storm said...

OK JUSHH, THAT WAS BETTER.
I take that back, continue to hate...UR RIGHT....

Anonymous said...

Word, even Debra Lee could get it?