Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Sunday, June 29, 2008

"...I don't write sh*t cause I ain't got time"


Writer’s Block
written by JusHH


“I write my own rhymes, sort of, I think em. That means I forgot better s**t than you ever thought of..”

I just want to put it out there – I don’t write my posts. I know y’all probably assumed that I do but I don’t write. I grab my Chips Ahoy Chewy cookies and a glass of milk and I hit Wiz on the horn and start talking. I recite my post line for line and he just types away and Monday morning… its up on PTM. Bam, how ya like me now? I’m the dopest blogger ever.

Sound familiar? Ever since Jay-Z went on record declaring that he put down the pen and pad, every rapper and their mothers also stopped writing rhymes. I swear every interview that I read, someone else is talking about how they don’t write. The latest two that I’ve heard is T.I. and Lil’ Wayne. It’s gotten to the point where its somehow weak if you actually put the ink to the paper… WTF?????

Before going any further, let’s break this down a little bit. The only skill that’s actually impressive for a rapper who doesn’t write is memorization. That’s it. That’s the show. That’s all. Congratulations, you remember better than I do. Not writing doesn’t give you superior access to metaphors or concepts, it just means that after we’ve both “thought” about our raps, you don’t forget them as quickly as I do. Also freestyling and not writing your rhymes are not the same thing. Freestyling is when you rhyme off the top of your head, no rehearsals, its all happening live – that’s a skill. If you go into the booth and take time repeating and re-doing your verses, its soooo not the same thing. Not writing your rhymes, doesn’t make them good, being a good rapper makes your rhymes good.

Another thing, if your rhymes are nonsensical or not very good, then admitting that you don’t write them down is like a driver who crashed into the pole bragging about how he drives with out his hands. If your rhymes need some work or some cohesion, then the problem IS that you don’t write and you should probably go grab some loose leaf paper and get to work.

I won’t get into who I believe and who I don’t because I simply can’t prove it. (Another reason why I feel so many rappers all of a sudden made this claim) I didn’t even believe Hov for the first 5 years. I didn’t come around until I saw Fade To Black and everyone from Timbaland, to Rick Rubin were talking about how all of his raps are in his head and how you saw him mouthing “Lucifer” in front of our eyes. But at least Jay has given us reasons why he stopped writing. He admitted to writing his first album and he let us know that he probably forgot about 4 albums worth of material. These other guys, we just get a two second sound bite.

Now I’m not claiming that this feat isn’t impressive, its just not as groundbreaking as people want to make it out to be. What was once an interesting resume item for an already incredible emcee, became a stupid trend that is now shared by the mediocre.

So before Bow Wow and Yung Berg officially goes on record about how they only “think” their punchlines, let me just send this general message out to all of you…

Pen or no pen, it doesn’t really matter. Hip-Hop needs better rhymes whether or you can remember them or not.

5 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

Soooo...have you ever heard a rapper say "naw, I don't write rhymes," and then everything became clear? Yeah, I remember when lil' flip announced that he didn't write and everything became clear. ha ha

As for not writing, like most of us Negros, I too have dabbled in this thing called hip-hop. I've written and I've tried not writing. Honestly, I connected much better with the beat when I wasn't writing. It allowed me to put a flow and my thoughts together without the interruption of having to stop and write. I think there is an advantage. I just couldn't do that mess consistently.

As for Bow Wow, I'm pretty sure he doesn't write his rhymes. You know, the same way Diddy doesn't write his.

K Storm said...

LMAO JUST K...

VERY FUNNY.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. See I would have to write because there's no way i could remember every word that i spit and it would be frustrating trying to come back to it time and time again, and it sounding a tad different each time.

Mr. Hutson said...

Two videos I remember.

One was the making of Reasonable Doubt. Jay said he didn't have a notebook, so he used to stuff pieces of paper in his pocket to write his rhymes. After a while, his trips on the train started getting longer and he started running out of paper. Shazam!!! The non-writing MC is born. He started writing in his head.

I remember a video in which they showed Kanye trying to find the flow to Addiction (great song) of the Late Registration album. He was mumbling nonsensical sounds to the beat, hoping to find the proper flow. When he found it, I think he mentally started putting words to it.

Try freestyling nonsensically over a beat (don't worry about the rhyme, just concern yourself w/ the flow). Didn't it sound dope!? Picture being able to replace that nonsense with words. That's the joy of writing without writing.

Mimi said...

And YOU are soooo dope for this. I simply loved it.

"What was once an interesting resume item for an already incredible emcee, became a stupid trend that is now shared by the mediocre." HELLO HELLO!!!