Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Thursday, April 24, 2008

aKeys...


Ms. Keys Gets Gangsta
written by K.T.

“‘Gangsta rap’ was a ploy to convince black people to kill each other,” she says, putting down the sandwich. “‘Gangsta rap’ didn’t exist.” Come again? A ploy by whom? She looks at us like it’s the dumbest question in the world. “The government.
Alicia Keys, Blender Magazine, May 2008

Hmmmm…and I wonder if you know what it means, Ms. Keys, to an entire generation of people who prescribed to gangster rap in its heyday, to say something like this. This past week the hip-hop world has been in quite a tiff in response to the comments made by one, Ms. Alicia Augello-Cook. And no one has taken her words to heart quite like Mr. Curtis Jackson, otherwise known as 50 Cent.


Usually, I am not one to cosign with 50 Cent, but, begrudgingly, I can see he his point very clearly. His insight is based on what gangsta rap was for so many young black men in its original stages. As a form of political expression and cathartic release, it worked for groups like N.W.A., The Geto Boys and artists like Ice-T and Tupac.. He even goes so far as to admit that he “tries to like (Alicia Keys’ music)” and feels that she isn’t making an attempt to understand why people enjoy his. I can only hope that the words that were written are inaccurate because although the formulaic stance that hip-hop has taken over the past 10 years has soured many true fans’ view of the genre, we mustn’t forget such a prevalent piece of music history. The overt references to salacious behavior and excessive materialism so apparent today notwithstanding, Gangsta rap, as it used to be, is as much apart of the history of hip-hop as Grandmaster Flash, Kool Herc and Fab Five Freddy are. You can’t truly appreciate it without acknowledging that. Though I don’t necessarily enjoy 50’s music that much, his point is loud and clear.

The link for the Blender magazine interview:
http://www.blender.com/articles/default.aspx?key=21056&pg=3

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I first heard about this story, I definitely didn't take it seriously because I know how magazines and reporters can completely butcher someone's point of view. There's no way I believe that A. Keys doesn't like hardcore hip-hop. I heard her say that her favorite album of all time is "The Purple Tape" (Raekwon's "Only Built for Cuban Linx") and she sampled O.D.B's Brooklyn Zoo on one of her big hits.

She spoke about loving that stuff whenever asked. However this is what I think she meant by her comments, the government, media, whomever has categorized and marginalized a certain type of music into a box called "gangster music". The social political messages are stripped and we're left with niggas killin niggas. We never coined the phrase "gangsta rap", it was given to the music by people who just needed a category. Its the same people who took Biggie vs. Pac and turned it into New York vs. California, even after both rappers said it wasn't like that.

So on this I guess i roll with both A. Keys and 50 Cent.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I couldn't have said it any better JusHH...you got to the comment box first, lol. I actually think 50 is being a bit sensitive, rash and defensive. A lot of times when reporters ask about inciteful comments in interviews people try to give the most diplomatic answers and sound like they're at beauty pageants because they don't want to be quoted on something they didn't hear, read or see themselves. I think it woulda ben in 50's best interest to just pass up on a response and read the article first because it might have changed how he took it--coming from someone else's mouth.

KT I agree with your point that the music is an essential part of our musical history, the label though not so much. I think the context was defintely exaggerated and i hope this doesn't create an unnecessary rift between her and other hip hop artists.

Mr. Hutson said...

Yup. The media/gov't was also kind enough to bring us the East Coast vs. West Coast beef. I get what she meant. Whenever I read an interview and something just doesn't seem to make sense, I try to read between the quotes to see what the artist was trying to say.

As for 50 responding, it took him a few days longer than I expected. I thought he was gonna drop a dis track that day.
"F*** Yo Diary"
"Locksmith"
"So Proactiv"
"Like I'll Never See You Again"

Anonymous said...

LMFAO

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHHAH!

Anonymous said...

That's wack that Fif jumped the gun and said he doesn't like Oprah (and people who don't like HIM) because Oprah has been quoted as saying 50 cent IS one of the few musicians (not just rappers) that she liked. She refered to "In the Club" as being one of her favorite songs.

I hear Fif though because she doesn't support "gangster rap" but she doesn't have any problems dancin' to "GO!..GO!..GO!..GO!..GO!..GO SHAWWWWTY! IT'S YA BURFDAY!!" mmmhmm...just like a republican. Oprah is a republican right? lol...

Anonymous said...

Oprah endorsed Barack, she's probably not a republican.

Anonymous said...

My bad, I forgot to put ("heavy sarc") ala K-Storm after my republican question...

lol.

Mimi said...

I didn't take this story seriously either. But A.Keys has received serious bad press for it. I mean, I feel it's like suburbanites commenting on the hood. She should ease up on referring to a lifestyle to which is she foreign to. I think that's what 50 meant. IDK.. his interview is funny. And I rarely agree on his reasoning for not liking people... but I feel him in a way, as well. And he said it simply, "I don't like Alicia Keys no more".

He is also right... if Blender is standing by their story-- it is what it is. She may have said it and didn't know it came out as it did, but hey, that's the key to being intelligent and articulate and Alicia Keys is both. So I assume what was read was really what was said.