Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Ironman


Ghost In The Lyrics
written by KT

Ghostface Killah might be the best hip-hop artist no one talks about.

I should just end this post right there, no back up statements, no reason for such a strong assertion, but then, I wouldn’t be taking it very far past the margin now would I? Let me start by clarifying that statement. Ghostface is one of the best hip-hop artists no one talks about (I’ll throw fellow Wu-Tang member Raekwon in that same category). But if you are in anyway versed in hip-hop and know a little history of the genre’s rise, then you know precisely who Ghostface a.k.a. Tony Starks a.k.a. Wallabee Champ a.k.a. Ironman a.k.a. you get the point, is.

One of the most lyrically diverse, dexterous and probably the most amusing rapper this side of the Mason Dixon (props to Ludacris), Ghostface has made a name for himself off of a distinctively grimy, hungry flow and often times, nonsensical lyrics. Need an example? The chorus to “Apollo Kids off the Supreme Clientele LP goes: “Aiyyo this rap is like ziti/facin’ me real tv/crashin’ high speeds/strawberry kiwi.” If you understand exactly to what he is referring to, please, feel free to submit a post during Thursday’s Lyrical Exercise, you will have earned it.

But there is undoubtedly something about Tony Starks, be it the wallabies, the giant golden eagle he wears on his wrist or, heaven forbid, his talent, that draws us, the listener in deeper. Admittedly, it takes a while to warm up to his often times frenetic flow and whiplash-speed subject matter switches, but once you are able to sift through that, you find yourself not only listening to a man with a wealth of experiences under his belt, but also a dude who knows how to put together a conceptual song.

The bottom line is that Ghost is one of the few dudes who can craft a whole song about Kilos of cocaine and its transport throughout the cities of NY (Fishscale’s “Kilo”) and follow up further down the track listing with a hypnotic ode to young black girl growing up tough (“Big Girl” on the same album) and actually lead you believe every word of what he’s spitting on both tracks. Can Nas, the king of hip-hop hypocrisy say the same thing?

Therein lies the biggest enigma about Dennis Coles. His persona and charisma does not allow you much room to question his authenticity.Very rarely, I find, is it that you can listen to him and not truly feel his words are the honest truth. He rhymes with such fervor and sincerity, it’s almost impossible to penetrate. Check out “Josephine” from Hi-Tek’s Hi-Teknology, Vol. 2:

“Yo, I know this chick from the hood named Courtney Cox

And her brain is easy to pick like faulty locks

She's awfully hot, asshole burning like tabasco

She used to be thick, it's like where the hell her ass go

Started smoking weed and graduated to the pipe

Thought that she could quit but her calculations wasn't right…”

He possesses a rather uncanny ability to weave the whimsical with the more serious subject matter (“asshole burnin’ like Tabasco” hilariously sad). And it works most times. I won’t sit here and praise him without acknowledging some of his past shortcomings with albums like Bulletproof Wallets and The Pretty Toney Album, but while those albums weren’t great, listening to Clientele back in 2000 and Fishscale last year definitely reminded me of why I enjoy him so much in the first place. There is an unadulterated quality to him that allows the listener to vibe and let his words push you through to another realm. As evidenced in the excerpt from “Josephine,” his talent truly lies in the ability to both talk and rap at the same time. Just as sure as you could hear him rapping those words, you could hear him saying those same sentences to you on any street corner in NY.

So he might just embody what makes New York New York: his brash, bold and humorously aggressive nature. And maybe that’s why he’s not getting a lot of ink. Maybe he personifies the honesty that seems to be lacking in hip-hop, especially as of late.

Maybe he’s talking just enough for all of us.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

he was watchin tv eating ziti...then started thinkin bout his crazy lifestyle while lookin at the capri sun he was sippin on at the moment (flavor? strawberry kiwi). u KNOW the pouches got 'crashing waves' graphics on 'em. yeah?? yeah???

Anonymous said...

ok lets get started. Ghost is one of my favorite artists, and probably will always be. The hell u mean shortcomings? Uh uh. Now I know bullet proof wallets and the pretty tony album can't compare to supreme clientele or big doe rehab, but have u really, I mean really listened totuose albums? Maxine? Of lines like "I bought a iced out Trojan, thats for pu$$-:$ thats golden who got tony wide open, I put my ring up to my mans waves and seen the ocean " U gotta love Ghost. I was definitely disappointed with more fish but big doe rehab vindicated him. In any case thanx for giving him his props cuz I agree that he is the best least talked about in the game

Anonymous said...

three words...

BIG DOE REHAB.

#5 on PTM's 2007 list ;-)

The funny things for every nonsensical rhyme, he will give you the most thought provoking lyric or verse that you could ever want.

(c.) "All that I got is you" is one of the most emotional songs I've ever heard.

My favorite thing about Ghost is that he gets Hip-Hop. Being original, authentic and gettin busy when the mic gets turned on.

(c.) "Ghost is Back" on More Fish.

Mr. Hutson said...

Thank you for explaining why I like Ghost, 'cause I really didn't know why. I just knew that I did. He truly does have a certain authenticity and passion in every bar he delivers. I mean, how many people can say a whole lot of nothing and make you keep hitting rewind in attempts to decipher all of the nothing? Yup, dude raps like every line is the realest thing he ever wrote. You gotta respect it.

Anonymous said...

Also, you gotta love the bird on his arm. I mean seriously, have we seen this much gaudiness since MC Ricky D? lol..

GAUSH!!!!

lmao @ Just K... I feel you.

Mr. Hutson said...

And what's funnier than the lyrics are the interpretations. Pure gold.

"Son, when he says this rap is like ziti, he's saying rap is easy to him 'cause cooking ziti is easy. It's nothing."

Ah, Ghost...

He broke hearts when he announced he was rapping about nothing (as if the world was really shocked)

Anonymous said...

JusHH I totally changed my view of Yolanda's House by the way. I've been waiting for a Ghostface post to tell u. Was listening to it one day and was like "ooooohhhhh." It might change again in a couple months tho, LOL. I will still LOVE the song tho.

Anonymous said...

And I would like to say, much respect to Dr. Buzzard's Savannah Band but they gotta give props to Ghost for putting rap heads who didn't already know on to "Sunshower" and "Cherz Cherz Le Femme." And the singing on both tracks was actually pretty decent and close to the originals.

Anonymous said...

Oh AND when u can say urself that ur jewelry makes Mr. T go nuts u know ur ODin. So touche on that gaudiness comment. He might be one of the few that don't make me mad with that.

Sorry I'm being greedy today with the comments, but shit I've been waiting, I love this dude. Maybe it's the NYC asshole in me :)

Anonymous said...

Let it out girl, let it out.

I'm sure the great Ghost Dini appreciates it.

Anonymous said...

Ok one more...

"Excuse me if I'm horny, no doubt I might knock the beat up."

Shortcomings mt arse (lol), that's my dude!