Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Killah!!


Down and Out
written by K.T
.


In last week’s post, I had the pleasure of writing about one of the dudes whose skill and versatility makes him not only one of the better guys doing it right now, but also one of the most liked out there. I chose to go in a different direction for this one.

One of the most frustrating people I have listened in my career as a hip-hop fan, Cameron Giles a.k.a. Cam’ron has enjoyed a rather precipitous drop in popularity since he blessed us with the classic “.357 (Magnum P.I.).” Still one of my favorite songs to this day, “.357” showed us all what Cam’ron was supposed to be: A witty, hungry and, in true Harlem fashion, somewhat braggadocios MC. I still remember the video to this day: he and childhood friend Mason Betha running through the streets of West Harlem.

I won’t go out on a limb and say that 1998’s Confessions of Fire was a classic album, but it was definitely a promising start. Joints like “Me and My Boo” with Charli Baltimore (wow, I don’t believe I actually used that name again), “Glory,” “D. Rugs,” and the hilariously absurd “Confessions” were standouts and gave reason to believe that Killa Cam had something new to offer the evolving hip-hop landscape.

Not so much.

His follow up release S.D.E. (short for Sex, Drugs and Entertainment) was a sharp left turn away from what he had begun with Confessions. What still goes down in my mind as one of the worst albums I’ve ever listened to, S.D.E. contained little of the Cam’ron from his debut release. Need examples here. And with that, he had effectively de-evolved from the witty rhyme-spitter we were introduced to and into a caricature of sorts, fully embracing the stereotypes of your everyday trapper-turned-rapper.

Since that time, Cam’s successes have been spotty at best, if they’ve been apparent at all. Despite Justin’s assertion, Purple Haze was a decently crafted album. Tracks like “Down and Out,” “Reasons,” and “Killa Cam” were a couple of highlights. Now, mind you, they weren’t on the same lyrical level as the highlights on Confessions.

Now, we’ve arrived at a space in which Cam’ron has become something of a running joke. His lyrics have regressed to the point of incoherence and it’s truly a sad development for me. I bought that Confessions of Fire album and was pretty impressed with it, despite the deficiency in my hip-hop literacy then compared to now. To hear Cam tell it, he now keeps the “boosters boostin’” and the “’puters putin’.” One particularly hilarious line out of “All the Chickens” from 2000’s S.D.E.:

Like Cam is a son of a bitch/That'll tell a girl, ma, wash under your tits/But I, got a girl, we all call her "Licka"/Cuz she drink liquor, let another girl lick her”

Really? That happened to be an old line, but Cam has consistently lowered the bar on lyrical acuity every year of his career. Unfortunately, he’s reached Noreaga Melvin Flynt: Da Hustla – type ridiculousness. I continue to hope that he surprises me the way he did on “Gone” from Kanye’s Late Registration, though. Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll be reliving those Confessions days any time soon.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what's funny about this post. I hate Cam for every reason that you do except i think S.D.E is his best work ever! I love that album. I actually felt that on Confessions he was more cartoon-ish.

He came out the gate so hard with "That's Me". "Come Kill Me" and "Double Up" were those crazy braggadocios Harlem rap songs we all craved for. He showed versatility with songs like "What Means The World to You", "Violence" and "Freak". And my favorite Cam'ron song of all time, "Sports, Drugs and Entertainment" showed not only his ability to tell a story put perhaps his most honest and emotional track to date.

Personally after that S.D.E. project I loved Cam's music and I got so excited when he was signing to the Roc. His first couple of singles were fire... but then... well the computers, computed.

His fall from grace is somewhere in line with the likes of Ja, DMX and Bone Thugs. To make me beg artists that i used to love put down the mic is a painful experience.

And while Cam did do his thing on "Gone" its only really dope because of the other garbage he put up. We'll call it, "Relative Dopeness"... I see another post coming.

Anonymous said...

Not to get it confused. I loved the Confessions album too. It's just every album after S.D.E where i felt Cam lost his damn mind

Anonymous said...

Yo I say Cam rhymes all the time...

I eat finger licking chicken, chicken, micken ticken selling kittens. Wow, I used to love Cam and now he's a joke. Confessions is my favorite cuz it starts with Glory (HARD) and ends with "so go head and rewind that." And I always did.

Then S.D.E was my sh--. Someone stole it from me and I HAD to buy it back immediately. Then Come Home With ME came out and my hip hop relationship with Cam was doomed. From then on it's been a wrap. Papers papin, jackets jackin. Mind you I'm making this up as I write but this could very well be some dumb line he dropped.


Thank you KT for posting this. I have been waiting a while for someone to really go in depth about the shortcomings of this used to be promising artist (I can barely even call him that anymore). How does someone lose their hunger like that? Especially when he was such a savage beast. Pull It anyone?!

Last thing, my favorite part of the .357 video, cuz that video was genius, the chase fit the beat so perfectly. Any way, favorite part, Mase (I think it was Mase not Cam) falls down the stairs in the train station, and I think all you can really see is his legs just going all over the place. HOW REAL WAS THAT?! I guess all we have left is our memories. (sigh)

Anonymous said...

I just had a change of heart in the past 15 minutes as I sat at my desk and :computers putin" kept playing in my mind. And everytime it did I laughed, I mean really laughed. This stuff is gold. Cam is classic in a whole other way now. Who makes you laugh like that? It's like I love DJ Quik cuz I think his rhymes are so corny they actually amuse and entertain me. Now don't get me wrong, I would much rather have a lyrical Cam who entertained me with great rhymes. But since that Cam doesn't seem to be coming back I just decided that I'm gonna take this new Cam for what he is. Computers putin gets me everytime. I think its sad and hilarious at the same time. But seriously I wouldn't even be able to read or comment on this post if my computer wasn't putin right now.

K Storm said...

Im not sure how accurate this may be, but did Cam start kiddy rapping after he lost all that weight and the ladies finally had no problem with saying he was EYE CANDY? He got real pretty and his flow went out the door. YES? NO?

Anonymous said...

Ha! YES....but I know a lot of ladies that liked chubbier Cam better cuz some said he looked like he had the monster. I guess it was his flow that got a deficiency virus. And that's never sexy in real hip hop.

Anonymous said...

Its really a mystery... although i didn't really like Come Home With Me he wasn't that damn bad. He got skinny for that album but it was a progressive decline from that point on.

Perhaps he got jealous of Hov and felt that he didn't have to write his rhymes either. So he started freestyling all of his raps.. yeah that's it, Cam's not wack, he's just going off the top of the dome.

"I'm really real, you know the deally deal. Dip set, connect through the internet, net."

Whats' so funny about "computers computin'" is that its probably Cam's most popular rap but he never actually said it... 50 did (lol)

And just to prove that there's no turning back with Killa....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvRPh8pDaas

Anonymous said...

... or perhaps Cam realized what Mims told us all last year.

"he could sell a mill, saying nothing on a track."

Cam isn't wack, he was just ahead of his time.

Anonymous said...

Obligatory link:
Cam'Ron's Rhyme Book Found

Anonymous said...

Yo, I remember when i first saw that... it was the funniest thing ever!

lmao