Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, April 25, 2008

Da Don...


Can I Get A Sample?
written by 4bars

Aight, so I’m a lil late but I actually got into it with my girlfriend about this so I must rehash. In case you didn’t see it all over the internet, some guy posted a thing on Youtube about how the Usher smash that Polow da Don produced “In This Club” was produced using stock sounds from Garage Band, the beat making software that comes with almost all Macs. Now I’ma pc guy myself so I don’t really f wit Macs like that but the point is, SO, MF, WHAT! If he did use the sounds, isn’t that what they were supposed to be used for when they were placed in the software on the computer in the first place? I know what you’re saying “he makes millions and has all this advanced equipment, anybody could use garage band, blah blah blah” If somebody paid you a $100,000 to make a beat and you came across some sounds that didn’t require you to use your expensive equipment, wouldn’t you do it?

I mean, it’s the beat that matters and frankly, it’s bangin. Even though when I first heard the opening of the track I did think to myself, “this sounds kind of lame, generic even…” but then Usher came through and really did a great job on the song (I feel like I should say “no homo” or “pause” or something after saying that) and everybody knows it as a smash. So my question is, do the means matter that much when the end is what we’re seeking? I mean, everybody uses samples, Ghostface went as far as to simply rap over an old R&B track from back in the day (and even sing along with it, hahaha, classic) but nobody is making a big hoot because the sampling came from expensive means or what? Why is this such a big deal, or is it even a deal?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's my one and only point to this...

Two people have the same program. One took sounds and turned it to a nationwide smash and is getting bank and the other lives with his mom because he couldn't put those sounds together and make a hit.

hmmm....

The difference is talent people. A drum set is exactly the same but there's a difference between me banging on them and Questlove and Travis Barker. I'm not gonna hear their song, go on youtube and be like, "son, i got the same drum set, all they did was this. see? same exact sounds."

This is the only problem with the internet, too many stupid people can be seen.

Thats like when people were gettin at Swizz for using casio sounds (not sure if that was ever proven or not) but talent takes simple sounds and turns it into "ruff ryders anthem".

peace and hair grease

Diony Elias said...

haha! 4Bars was arguing with the lady about a beat.

D-NYCE gives a fuck where the sounds come from! It's all about putting the pieces together and then selling it.

Mr. Hutson said...

I don't know. It does and doesn't matter. I think technology, to an extent, has allowed the everyday Joe Schmo to compete with real talent.

On the flip side, if real talent can take some Joe Schmo technology and make something brilliant...sweet.

By the way, I wish somebody would tell me that Laffy Taffy beat wasn't made on a Casio. I wish somebody else would tell me I Betcha You Can't Do it Like Me isn't Laffy Taffy plus the push of another Casio button.

K Storm said...

LMFAO... I think its the push of TWO Casio buttons. Theres a diff... j/k

This is just haters hating.
If PHARELL can do a beat making his tongue hit the bottom of his mouth, and that makes SNOOPS DROP IT LIKE ITS HOT BEAT. Who am I to hate because Ive made the same damn noise when I was younger? As a matter of fact, Im sure we all did. THESE PEOPLE NEED TO STOP HATIN. Then again Im not a hater so I have no problem with it.

"Hater ni#gas, marry hater b$tches and have hater kids."

Anonymous said...

yea i mean some of the beats are real simple, but if its just that easy then you go do it yourself. The idea of a beat is harder than actually making it.

Anonymous said...

Timbaland uses a belch or a baby laughing (which I heard he took from a home video of Aaliyah when she was little). Who cares! All it comes down to is how hot the beat is in the end. I don't care if he drummed on aluminum pans in the background. I have some at home but I can't make em sound hot. Some producers have the most expensive equipement in the country and still make whack beats. Bottom line for me: it doens't matter.

Mimi said...

Honestly... this case solidifies the face that Polow is a lame. not only is he inarticulate, but he's fucking with starter kits. I guess I feel some type of way because I KNOW Usher shelled out DOUGH for the track... and that Polow is GASSED... ANNNDDD that he is one producer that LEAKS shit that he produces! Hell yes... will leak your shit in a heartbeat because he leaked Usher's shit. So that amongst this YouTube.. which I too blooged because I thought it was comedy... makes him a fucking lame.

BUT!

1. Valid point on the differences betweeen people and the drum set reference.

2. Valid point on the if you were paid and could do the same thing u would.

EHHHH... but I wouldnt have leaked the shit right after.