Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Thursday, April 17, 2008

My neck, My back....Nah Man kick rocks


Khia + VH1 = Next Female Rap Superstar???!!!
written by K.T.


When the world of hip-hop merges with the world of pop culture, no one can say with confidence that they know what to expect. Sometimes you come out with “YO! MTV Raps” or “Hip Hop Honors” and other times you get “The (White) Rapper Show.” Being the ever-noble purveyors of quality entertainment they are, VH1 has decided to reprise its role as gatekeeper of new talent into the rap game with its new show “Miss Rap Supreme,” hosted once more by MC Serch and featuring newbie YoYo. For those of you who didn’t catch the show’s premiere two nights ago, 10 female emcees are forced to live under one roof while performing tasks that measure not only their rhyme skills, but their mental toughness. It’s format – much the same as “Rapper” – is designed at once to enamor you with these women while at the same time make you lower head at their antics.

The show, at its core, is a very good idea. It wasn’t too long ago PTM brought up the lack of a decent female MC in the hip-hop game and a show like this is exactly what will shine some light on the ladies that are really doing it for real. However, the glaring flaw with this show is its inclusion of the original “Thug Miss,” Khia herself, ladies and gentlemen.

From the time that she sets foot in the house, she makes no secret of her “successes” as an artist repeatedly letting those in the house, behind the cameras and in front of the TV aware of the 800,000 units that “Misses” pushed worldwide, largely due to the buzz that “My Neck, My Back” generated. She conveniently failed to mention that her next single, “You My Girl” never made the charts and her second album – 2006’s "Gangstress" moved 10,000 copies worldwide. But who cares about that? She is a certified gold rapper; she is light years ahead of the rest of these women talent-wise, right?

Wrong. WRONG.

The unfortunate thing about Khia being on this show is that her ego, however inflated and misguided, will inevitably overshadow some of the more promising talents on this show. A prime example of this is the show’s elimination, for which the losing team’s competitors must write 16 bars to convince Serch and YoYo of their worth. Khia, for some reason, decided that this is an opportunity to construct the longest hook in rap history; an incoherent, almost inaudible mishmash of lyrics ending with her spelling out and repeating the phrase “respect me.”

Wow.

Serch decided to keep her over a promising German rapper named Lionezz and that is precisely my point. Khia had the opportunity to make a career and she didn’t fully capitalize on that. Now for her to show up in this house with women who really have a chance to get put on and act as if she is just coming off of some Kanye-like Grammy family status is preposterous. I won’t knock her as a person, but as an artist, she’s got nothing left. Her antics in the first show brought light away from talents like Jersey Peach Chiba and Byata. Those sistas can spit for real and I hope they do get some exposure through this show.

Hopefully, Khia won’t be anywhere near them when it happens.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just had an "Oh Lord!" moment. Just because when you put women in a house for a competition ON VH1 it always seems to turn out a preponderance of coonery. I haven't seen it, and while I would love to see if these women can actually spit, I'm afraid to even dare. Cuz the coonery might actually overshadow the talent more than Khia's ego. Again, I'm afraid to even dare. I think VH1 pulls people aside and promises money if they act stupid and stir up drama. Notice those people stay on longer cuz the more people hate them the more people will watch. I'm sure Khia is aware of that--it's the New York (yes from Flavor of Love) factor. So unfortunately if Khia's that bad she might be around for a while. I don't know if anyone watches The Bad Girl's Club (which I admit is also ridiculous in its own way--BUT attempts to give a better purpose for the people there). There was a girl this season on it named Lyric who left the house a little early. They had one episode when she got in the booth and spit and you know what, she wasn't bad. I liked her, and was disappointed she left the house early. I really wanted to hear more of what she has to offer.

I might try to catch the show. But in case I don't bother, could PTM keep us posted on these ladies, and highlight the winner (or person deserving of the win) in a post to come?

K Storm said...

First of all. Does n e one else have a problem with the fact that she's claiming to be so great,BUT SHE'S ON A REALITY SHOW AS A CONTESTANT TRYING TO GET ****BACK**** ON? Wow, she should be ashamed of herself.

I have an issue with the coonery on some of these shows as well, but its no different from REAL WORld, its just more urban.

I do however see a change in television as far as HIP-HOP related reality shows go. YOU KNOW WHICH SHOW WAS THE BEST SO FAR THIS YEAR? AMERICAS BEST DANCE CREW. YOOOOO!!!!! Now who can shed some light on that? The Jabawokeeze, Status QUO, Kabba Modern... loved it....

Anonymous said...

OK now you've really got me up this morning. I was thinking the same thing about her shame. She SHOULD be ashamed. How u poppin ish like you great but musta got dropped from your label, AND NOT PICKED UP BY ANOTHER, if you're even on the show. I hope someone points that out to her.

ABDC...that show was the truth! Now I admit that I will almost watch anything that promises at least SOME hot hip hop dancing at some point in its span. So I'm glad I didn't let the fact that it was on MTV deter me from getting into it. From the first episode I was hooked. I voted like 15 times for the Jabawockeez, something I never do with shows like that. But they deserved it cuz in my opinion they really were the best (though I felt like their biggest competition was Kabba Modern).

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion....I know the coonery is real, but it bothers me because the circumstances aren't. When you put people in a pressure cooker they will eventually explode. And when they see how successful others have been from acting outrageously they jump on to capitalize from it.

Wasn't Kiah just on that Janet Jackson track. Damn she must really be whack! I haven't actually experienced anything from her past My Neck, My Back and I'm really not trying to unless she's coming with something better.

Anonymous said...

Khia... smh

Lmao @ coonery, such a great word.

No, I didn't even know this new "rapper" show existed. My propensity to try to find some lyricism will draw me to at least watch one episode. However if it ends any way that White Rapper did then we're all in trouble.

When the final two people were competing, John Brown, the loser came up with a creative and original song where his competition just did your typical southern bounce record. How did final judge Clinton Sparks make his decision? "Current mainstream rap music isn't about lyricism - it's all about a hot song." This is what he SAID on a TV show! One of the most popular DJ's, from the East by the way, pretty much told young aspiring emcees that what you say simply doesn't matter anymore. [wiping tears from my eyes]

JusHH is fighting a battle and appears to be losing, badly.

Anonymous said...

Now having said that....

HOW THE F**K DO YOU PUT KHIA ON A REALITY SHOW FOR FEMALE RAPPERS?!?!

THIS CHICK IS THE WORST! HER SONGS ARE EXACTLY THE REASON WHY TALENTED FEMALES GET MARGINALIZED. SHE SUCKS AND VH1 IS JUST ADDING FUEL TO THE FIRE.

THAT'S LIKE HAVING VANILLA ICE ON WHITE RAPPER SHOW.

sorry for the caps but i had to let that go.

Anonymous said...

THIS IS EVERYTHING THATS WRONG WITH THE WORLD..... No apology for the caps damn it I meant and felt that! Yes a bold statement but this type of bullshit is where it starts.....lol

I dont even know what to say. Shout out to whoever ends up being dope on the show

Mr. Hutson said...

See, here's the thing that amazes me about Khia. If you're a bad rapper, why would you go on a show where you have to rap...lyrics...all of the time? I'm glad her second CD sold 10K before the show. She'll probably lose sales when people sell it back to the store. Is it possible to unsell records? To go on a show for up-and-coming artists and brag about how you came-and-went isn't cool.

And KStorm, I fully cosine ABDC. That show was golden. When homeboy from Jabawockeez spun on his head for a few days and then tossed his mask on the second to last show, I almost shed a tear. I still wish it was Jaba and Kabba Modern in the final with another full week to prepare their own dances. Let's see what the second season brings this summer.

Anonymous said...

America's Best Dance Crew. Hey Past the Margin do I feel a post coming on.......

Anonymous said...

Yo, this show is everything I thought it would be. Thanks K Storm for posting this because if you didnt I might have.

Kiah def should have gotten eliminated spittin that:
"RESPE-Respect ME!...RESPE-Respect ME!...Bitch you betta RE-SPECT-Me!..." That wasn't even a 16. I know she had one hit and she's gonna bring more ratings for the show because of it but what about integrity? Where has that gone in the world? Lionezz should have been kept on simply because she has potential we haven't seen yet. At the very least she would be better than...Kiah. ha.

Anonymous said...

So I was flipping through channels in between the basketball games and i came across Miss Rap Supreme. I saw about 10 total minutes of it (some in the beginning and some at the end). Here's what i took from it.

1. Extreme shucking and jiving.
2. Khia got kicked off for spitting a rhyme that was already released. and it sucked so how funny is that?
3. Yo-Yo should have chosen a better job.
4. None of the girls can rap.

I hate rap sometimes.