Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Friday, March 28, 2008

Decisions...


A Nigger Moment written by 4bars

Aight, so I had something completely different in mind for this week’s edition but due to niggerdom that was settled in a court of law today, I must address it: WHY ARE OUR ARTISTS SO F’N STUPID?!? In case you hadn’t heard, Remy Ma was convicted, today, of assault. Now, with all the stuff that rappers get into, (gun charge here, possession of a controlled substance there) hearing about a rapper in trouble doesn’t come as much of a surprise. Lil Kim was recently jailed (and had a show documenting the days leading up to it, wtf? Thanks BET for setting such a great example) for perjury and now Remy Ma has been convicted of, get this, shooting her FRIEND outside of a nightclub because she thought she had stolen $3k. Now I’m in no position to talk about $3k like its chump change cause I don’t really make that much money anyway (struggling grad student here, donations are welcome), but certainly if you’re a Grammy nominated recording artist who probably earns more than 3 times that much for a guest appearance on a song or a performance, is your freedom and livelihood really worth 3 grand?

She faces up to 25 years in prison but it is likely that she’ll receive somewhere between 5-10. Is talking to somebody not an ok way to handle a dispute in the streets anymore? I mean, don’t get me wrong, if this lady had been a stranger, I’m not condoning violence, but a more stern and swift means of action than “talking” are certainly in order. But apparently this woman she shot (with hollow tip bullets no less) was her friend. Is this how we treat our peoples now? I know that your friends can sometimes be the people you have to keep closest cause they’ll stab you in the back, but shooting her after yelling at her to “Dump the Bag!!” and it hasn’t been confirmed yet but apparently the money in question was not found in the victim’s purse, seriously, wtf? I’m embarrassed for Remy because this is just uncalled for and I cant figure out why she would shoot anyone, let alone HER DAMN FRIEND over three thousand dollars. Is there an amount of street cred that goes along with this? Was Rem looking to show us she wasn’t no “punk bitch”, somebody tell me why or how this makes any kind of sense? (sigh) Damn.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So as I listened to the radio this morning and they discussed the conviction I said to myself "I know Four Bars is gonna go at her." Thanks for not disappointing me :) Hands down the situation is ridiculous and it's the result of another rapper's insensate actions. Just possession of an unlicensed 45 will get you 3.5 years (and that's without even shooting it). And I can't even imagine how much money her lawyers, court fees, missed shows, etc added up to. Did we not learn anything from the Shyne incident people?! If not go back and read JusHH's post about Street Cred!!! It's upsetting cuz ppl could be doing so much better than they are but they choose not to in situations like this. She might not get a lenient judge and end up with the harshest sentence. And she'll have no one to blame but her own dumbass. Ugh, it's frustrating! $3000?! Really tho?!

Anonymous said...

Oh and what the f***?! Hollow tips?! She's lucky she wasn't charged with attempted murder. You go at somebody with hollow tips I'm gonna assume the intent was to kill em. She got off easy in that respect.

K Storm said...

I LOVE THIS SITE. So Remy is dumb for that but whats up with TI'S CASE? How did he pull 1yr and 1500 hours of community service? Remy had to go to jail, I mean Kim went. Foxy is in lock down. She can't let them get one up on her. J/K.....

If going to jail equals street cred then REMY IS GANGSTA, behind bars, making no money, not selling any albums. Yea, shes hood alright :/

Anonymous said...

Thanks G... after hearing this latest news in "niggerdom" (lol) I damn near felt like re-posting my Street Cred joints. I mean damn:

T.I. - 1 yr
Remy - 5-10 yrs
Prodigy - 3.5 yrs
Chi Ali - Still in jail

and of course my man Po, who made it so cool for a rapper to go to jail at the height of his career, thinking it would help him... haha. Diddy sell "Bitchassness" T-Shirts and he's wearing the same shirt everyday for the past 8 years.

I hate when i'm right sometimes.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA. I'm sorry, I had to share the laughter. Chi Ali. Wow! How you gon be in jail so long people forgot about you! I bet the girls don't look so good when you can only see them in magazines huh. But let's not forget John Forte. Four Bars, this don't make NO kinda sense! (To answer your question) Ima start biggin up people like Souljah Boy and Flo Rida :/ (I can't ever write that with a straight face)cuz at least they're staying out of jail. Rappers, we need to do better.

And P.S. to all those rappers that think doin a bid is cool...the hardest rappers in my opinion are M.O.P. They just sound scary and tough as hell on a track. Yes they talk about violence, but I never see them going to court over no dumb shit like this. It's actually more of an example of how corny you are--she didn't even shoot a stranger it was someone she knew. Lord!