Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Get Something!


Git Up, Git Out
OutKast Southernplayalisticcadillacmuzik
written by KT

While people were paying attention to the East and West Coasts for their rap diet, Outkast was getting down in the ATL back when the south wasn’t the home of ring tone rappers and the like. Yes, whether you know it or not, 3 stacks and Daddy Fat Sacks were making names for not only themselves, but for the future of the genre as a whole.

Rewind back to 1994 and to Outkast’s debut album with LaFace Records: Southernplayalisticcadillacmuzik. These two eccentric dudes coming from the south were very different from what hip-hop was used to. Drum machines and g-funk were the order of the day and Outkast bucked that trend with a heavy reliance on fractured poetry, live instrumentation and old school funk. This was a landmark album for them, but the song that puts me in a frame of mind I’m sure many of us who are on our respective grinds can relate to still rings in my ears to this day, since the very first time I’d heard it. That song? “Git Up, Git Out,” the second single off the album.

In all fairness, it’s not necessarily the most inventive song that Kast has come up with, but as a young man on my grizzly, listening to this track puts the journey to success in perspective. While Cee-Lo Green of the Goodie Mob croons, “how will you make it if you never even try?” one can’t help but focus on the uphill battle towards the goal, whatever it may be. Even as I sit here and acknowledge the extensive resume Kast boasts, this remains one of my favorite songs for the simplicity of the message and its significance to the culture they were representing.

This may be a shorter post than what you’re used to from me, but only because I wanted to focus not on the lyrics this week, but on the whole of the song and what this album meant for this group. At this point in hip-hop, at the beginning of the mid-nineties, Outkast was ushering in a new brand of the music we love. I’m going to go zone out off this track one last time. Do yourselves the favor and do the same.

4 comments:

K Storm said...

I can't wait for their album to drop.

Hopefully sometime this summer -_-

Anonymous said...

Yo, I freggin' love that album. I was schoolin' these young kids about them one day and reminded them that 3 Stacks at one point was just Dre and he didn't wear wigs and shoulder pads - just braids and a Braves jersey.

When I first heard Playa's Ball it was a wrap! "I'm leaning back, my elbow's out the window, coke, rum and indo fills my body, where's the party?"

Awww man.

Anonymous said...

whenever I hear that album of reminds me of when my cousins in ATL used to tape video soul for my non cable having ass and mail them to NY. I didnt have a porch but I wanted one so bad after southernplayalisticcadillacmusic dropped.

Anonymous said...

OutKast for me was one of my first real Hip Hop love affairs with a group. It was something about them that just excited me. I loved everything about them, they were different, fresh, weird and ecentric even but that's what got me hooked. The cherry on top was the fact that they were actually saying something not just some good sounding bullshit. PTM is dope because I can read and feel others appreciation for the artist and music that I too appreciate.

I dig it.