Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Hip-Hop = Life


A Tribute to New York Undercover
written by JusHH


“… You never thought that Hip-Hop would take it this far.” Those words ring out even stronger today because when Hip-Hop first started people never gave it a chance. People felt that it would just be a passing fad. They were all wrong. Hip-Hop isn’t going anywhere; in fact, it’s even bigger than just the music. In the Hip-Hop = Life section, we’ll pay tribute so some of Hip-Hop’s greatest influences outside of the booth.

New York Undercover

I remember it like it was yesterday. I had seen the previews – a cop show that took place in New York City where the two main characters were Black and Puerto Rican. That alone was enough to get me to watch the show. So that Thursday night I sat in front of the television an in the introductory scene I heard… Mobb Deep? I couldn’t believe my ears. I checked, no, this isn’t a music video, no, this wasn’t a live concert. It was a regular crime drama that was playing a Hip-Hop classic in its opening scene. At that moment I was in love. Never before did I feel that a show was made for me, a kid from Queens who was a Hip-Hop head. Watching Detectives JC Williams and Eddie Torres walk with a bop, wearing a Phat Farm sweater with the baggy jeans and the unlaced Tims was an incredible experience. Seeing this on television gave an authentication to what me and my boys were doing, what we were wearing and how we spoke. You might have had “Hip-Hop” themed sitcoms before but never a 60 min drama – not like this. The Internet Movie Database (IMDB.com) describes the show’s plot as follows:

Drugs, robbery, corruption, rape, murder. Cops versus criminals. The undercover war has started. Welcome to New York City.

No where in this description are the words Hip-Hop or ghetto mentioned. This was a show about cops and robbers and Hip-Hop was simply the backdrop, the perspective from which these characters viewed their world. The nature of the show also gave opportunities for aspiring actors from the Hip-Hop generation to get a break. Week after week I followed my two favorite detectives as they cracked down on crime all to a soundtrack that could be found in my discman. From time to time they wrote in live performances from some of my favorite artists and even gave cameos to other singers and rappers. It was great to see the “good guys”, who look like you, win the battle. Guys who you could relate to were not seen as thugs, but as heroes.

Since New York Undercover went off the air in 1998 after a four-year run, you saw many more shows come out that appealed to the Hip-Hop community. Nothing will give me the feeling that I had that day when I saw my first episode of New York Undercover and heard Havoc’s drums blast through my television. I can still hear the theme music in my head. Thankfully, the good folks at TV One brought it into syndication and I can watch them all over again.

14 comments:

Mr. Hutson said...

Man, that show was classic. Anybody else remember seeing Torres in the Michael Jackson Beat It video? I knew he was destined to be a star. ha ha

Anonymous said...

JusHH no you did NOT just take my mind all the way back to the whole Thursday night line up! It was like don't even come to school on Friday if you didn't see NY Undercover. We talked about the characters' lives like they were friends of ours. And YES Just K I DO remember Torres in the Michael Jackson video.

My favorite episode is the one with Yo-Yo and Sticky Fingaz. My favorite villain, hands down Ice T as Danny Up. I couldn't believe it when they had him actually kill Sandy. Ain't it ironic that he goes on to later play a cop on Law & Order? Remember when they debuted the original Bone Thugs N Harmony "Crossroads"?!!!! Hip Hop was so ill back then! I could talk about this for days, New York Undercover was the truth.

Anonymous said...

Yo that Thursday night line-up goes down in history. The only thing that level was the Cosby Show, Different World line-up and T.G.I.F with Family Matters and Perfect Strangers.

the four Danny Up episodes were my favorites by far. I had never been so emotionally involved in a storyline in my life! When he kept sendin' JC fingers in boxes i was like DAAAMMMN.

What about the episode with G's light skinned friend Mouse when he shot that dude for pushing "The Guy from Fresh" who he looked up to. How crazy was it when they chased him down at the end?

Of course I remember Torres in the Beat it joint.

Anonymous said...

Yooooo I was just telling my co-worker about the Mouse episode. Cuz I think when they caught him and killed him that was the episode when they played Crossroads.

Anonymous said...

Dopeness...Malik Yoba was that dude in this show...

Anonymous said...

Yo and I loved the s**t out of Shantell's character. She was the greatest baby's mother ever. Smart, responsible, kept JC in check (everytime he tried to get back w/ her but he wasn't really serious) and put her son first.

And i liked the new episodes with Tommy from Martin. I don't care what no one says.

Mimi said...

OMG This was my shoooow.

Remember the episode where they gave that INNOCENT kid letha injection!?!!? You I cried for DAYS. Never watched it agter that. Fucked my head up.

K Storm said...

CHURCH...

Anonymous said...

wait, i don't remember that episode with the lethal injection. which one was that?

Remember the one with a young Terrence Howard and his girl playing the hood Bonnie and Clyde?

Damn those were the days.

Anonymous said...

Great call with this story JusHH. And that Thursday night line up was the reason why I lived for like 2 years. LOL. jk but I agree with the fact that hip hop is life in and out of the booth. Just look at todays version of New York Undercover (stationed in Baltimore) with the wire series. Many of their characters are all over hip hop videos and mixtapes these days...

Stuprint said...

This show was def the shit, I loved Shantelle's character for so many reasons she wasn't the power trippin, overbearing "black bitch" that I feel gets type cast on so many shows nowadays (ie 24, and 24 is my shit, I just hate that they do that) but I cant ride wit JusHH when he says that the joints with Tommy were ok, once torres was gone, it was a wrap, just wasn't the same. I'ma disagreeable mf so while i'm at it, I gotta disagree with Dot when he compares it with The Wire. The Wire has hip hop in it, but NY Undercover WAS hip hop, from the dress to the background music, NY Undercover was structurally like a CSI or a Law and Order type show with it being cop centered. The Wire is prolly one of the greatest dramas/shows ever that won't go down as such due to the main characters/setting being a lil too "urban" (read African American). Whereas the Sopranos (which is an excellent show) has a cult following even though it had little to actually "say". The Sopranos was fictional whereas The Wire almost felt like a documentary. Aight, too much, my bad, NY Undercover= the shit, period.

Anonymous said...

Hell yeah that lethal injection episode almost hadme crying. I can't believe you dug that put the crates cuz whenever I think of past episodes I draw back to that. And Stuart you are right. The Wire is so acclaimed yet is i believe the only showtime series that has yet to win an award. So shouts to NY undercover and The Wire.

Anonymous said...

You dug in the crates...Writing on the train is a BITCH, LOL.

Anonymous said...

HBO series. And yes New York Undercover is the shit.