Welcome to Past the Margin where we go beyond the beats, beyond the rhymes, beyond the cars, girls and diamonds. At Past The Margin we dig a little deeper into the topics that deal with this thing we call "Hip-Hop".

We plan to bring to you those serious, comical and controversial ideas and opinions that you've had with your "peoples" whether it was on the block or in your crib. There's hundreds of conversations going on right now about Hip-Hop and everyone has something to say about it. So don't think outside the box... take it Past the Margin.

Updated Daily...

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Fresh Tuesday...

photo by Nena Nguyen
Fresh tuesday, I will try to bring you a new album or mixtape whenever you see these post. Music is scarce right now! Lets pray for some quality soon!

Hot Rap Tracks
(Billboard.com)

#1 some text
Flo-Rida Featuring T-Pain - Low

#2 some text
Webbie, Lil' Phat & Lil' Boosie - Independent

#3some text
Fat Joe Featuring J. Holiday - I Won't Tell

#4some text
Shawty Lo - Dey Know

#5some text
Lupe Fiasco Featuring Matthew Santos - Superstar

Artist Profile

John Jackson

(born November 18, 1977), better known by his stage name Fabolous, is an American rapper. Growing up from the Brooklyn area of New York City, he was among the first east coast rappers influenced by southern hip hop sounds and first became popular through his hit single "Can't Deny It" in 2001, from his debut album Ghetto Fabolous. His music has crossed into pop rap as well. His rap style has been compared those those of rappers Loon and Mase.

Born of mixed African American and Dominican descent, Jackson grew up in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York. When Memphis Bleek officially signed to Roc-A-Fella Records, Fabolous decided that it was time for him to start rapping seriously. He would call into DJ Clue's radio show in late 1998, he ended up freestyling for Clue, who would immediately sign him to his newly-formed Desert Storm Records. He would be featured on several DJ Clue mixtapes and mixtapes with Roc-A-Fella artists. This would earn Fabolous and Desert Storm a distribution deal with Elektra Records. In 2001, they began to promote Fabolous and his debut album, Ghetto Fabolous, first by placing him on the remix to popular label-mate, Lil Mo's "Superwoman (Remix)."

Discography
* 2001: Ghetto Fabolous
* 2003: Street Dreams
* 2004: Real Talk
* 2007: From Nothin' to Somethin'
Fabolous MySpace


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know whether to be angry or depressed that these are the hottest 5 songs in rap right now... BUT AT LEAST LUPE IS #5 - THERE IS HOPE!

Fab and DJ Drama... I'm a big fan of the Gangsta Grillz mixtapes (except for that actual album, that sucked) I'm just glad he's still doing mixtapes after the whole Federal arrest thing.

Oh and Flo Rida is soooooo terrible. I never thought I would see someone bite the style of someone like Young Jeezy but seeing Flo makes me actually prefer to hear the Snowman [head smashing against keyboard]

Anonymous said...

Correction its Shawty Lo that is biting Jeezy... Its hard to tell the wackness apart sometimes.

Anonymous said...

yea man Shawty Lo and that Rocko dude sound like Jeezy's little brothers yeaaaaaaaaa.....

But yes Lupe is in there, thats a good look.

Anonymous said...

It's funny cuz I love Lupe's album but that's actually the one song that I'm really not feelin. This top 5 is real sad. I'm always on this site but the funny thing is I don't really even listen to hip hop like that anymore these days. I stick with the same few artists to get my fill and I'm happy with that. And I have NEVER been a fan of Fabolous because his rap style IS comparable to Mase and Loon. Yeah I guess I'm just a hater today, lol.

K Storm said...

Yall are crazy. These are the top 4 lyrically sound RAP ARTIST right now. "Shawty Lo I got flavor
Cuz you know the kid got paper
Like 40 don't sava
BANKHEAD been pullin capas
The way you drop woulda thought I had a taser"
THAT IS HOT FIRE!!!! LYRICS FOR DAYS.

If you haven't noticed the sarcasm, please be advised,I AM NOT SERIOUS.

I like FAB-O-L-O-U-S. He's exciting lyrically. Im glad hes not spelling his name that much n e more, because If I had to bet a dollar for every FAB song I KNEW he would spell his name in, BILL GATES AND OPRAH wouldn't have n e thing on me. But FAB is nice.

SHOTS OUT TO ALL MY HATERS!!! Sorry the nice weather got me trippin with no map< SEE I CAN'T STOP MYSELF.

:/...lol

Anonymous said...

Oh and JusHH, lol @ "Its hard to tell the wackness apart sometimes."

Anonymous said...

And I know Fab's voice sounded like Mase's (I refuse to give Loon props for anything) but Fab is waaaaaay better than Pastor Mase, Mason Betha, Murda Mase or whatever version of Mase put out a song. I always had a problem w/ Mase's reasoning, how he steal your style but he better than you are? I'll put Fab's 50th best verse up against Mase's best anyday of the week.

Now having said that I'm ecstatic that he stopped spelling his damn name. I used to cringe everytime he started with that crap.

And yes its hard to tell the difference between some of these "rappers"

Anonymous said...

In keeping with my hating for the day, Loon? Did that mf ever even have a single? You gotta be kidding me. I won't lie. I will listen to a Fab or Mase song, I might even remember the words if they play it enough. But that doesn't mean I like it. I think we're all in agreement that the name spelling thing has always been lame. But I just expected more from Fab. And I think the comparison with Mase is not about skill level. I think it's really just their sound, that lazy rapper thing they got goin on. Don't they both kinda sound like they don't really wanna be in the studio? LOL. Or maybe they're just slow. Or maybe it's just me?

K Storm said...

O no!!! SLOW, THATS SO WRONG. Mase maybe but not Fab. Even Loons sound was a bit YELLOW SCHOOL BUS like (LORD FORGIVE ME). Loon had songs for the ladies....well, whatever song he had. I can't remember FOR SOME REASON. Now that I think of it, did HE HAVE A CD, OR a song that DIddy or someone else wasn't on?
And I think we are mixing up their sound,as in their tone, and their lyrical skills. FAB doesn't even need to be mentioned with LOON OR MASE. YEA I SAID IT.

Anonymous said...

haha yall are hilarious, I think Mase best verse was on dmx first album "Niggaz done started something". Loon? I can't really speak for dude, but Fab did drop his first album on 9/11 with Jay-Z's blueprint and went platinum....hmmm

Anonymous said...

Yo I've been saying that for like 10 years!!! I love that Mase verse. That is definitely the best he's spit ever... "Got more beef than an Islamic farm/ So I pack enough sonic arms to neutralize atomic bombs"

yeah Fab def sells records, too bad they suck. Fab is the king of killin you with the singles then filling up the rest of the album with hot garbage.

Anonymous said...

Many great things have been said in these postings but nothing more true than Fab making 1 or 2 hot singles, you go cop his album, and those are the only two songs you really wanna listen to but you can't cause they're singles and you've heard them a million times already!

Top songs these days have alot to do with luck and preparation by the music labels in my opinion. Artists like Flo-Rida are a music labels dream because they are not concerned with content they are trying to please an audience. Flo-Rida's "Low" is the leading single for one of the top selling movies out right now. Let's see if his label continues to back him in a couple years. He better get and keep his money right.

Lupe's "Superstar" is an undeniable track lyrically and the melody is crazy...

Shawty Lo is a bitter but he did come up w/D4L and people need to realize that the south eats TOGETHER and they don't consider it bitting. They consider it sharing...and playing the rest of us in the process! lol. What does it matter that he sounds like Jeez as long as he eeeeeats? lol.

...and Fat Joe just won't quit and has great production for his singles.

Mr. Hutson said...

I'd like to go ahead and take a second to drink a nice cool glass of Haterade.

I'd like to thank Fabolous for shaking my self confience. When this joker first blew up, he had me feeling like I've been misspelling fabulous for years. Now I have to second guess the spelling on all the tricky words I used to be sure of: embarrass, occasion, harass, etc.

Listening to Independent is like watching a spelling bee with no picture.

Flo-rida...the creativity starts and ends with his name.

Enough hate for the day. Until the next installment...